This is officially labeled "My Summer of Reading". And all it took was to finish my degree! Ha!
But seriously.
Saturday by Ian McEwan
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Clumsy by Jeffrey Brown
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
and I am halfway through both Beloved by Tony Morrison and god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.
Okay, so I've finished 9 books in 15 weeks. Which doesn't actually seem all that impressive saying it aloud. But it is considering how much I've read comparatively the past 3 years. I used to read myself to bed every night, and all I could manage recently were magazines and the odd graphic novel. Finishing 9 books is probably more than I finished throughout my entire post-secondary academic career (including my Jasper Fforde phase). Thank you, English degree, for majorly trying to kill my love of reading.
But also, I have been reading awesome books. Which helps. Except Beloved. Man, I don't like admitting, but I hate that book. But I need to finish it, I need to defeat it. It doesn't help that it was given to me long ago by someone I don't like very much. But that also motivates me because I want to stick it to him and his awful book too.
And god is not Great is amazing. Just amazing. It's so inspiring to see a cohesively organized argument against religion. I'm tired of feeling like I am judged as being a less moral person because I don't believe in a bearded man up in the clouds. Because I can't accept mythology as fact. It seems as fucked to me as the Greek gods do to modern readers; entertaining, but factual? Less likely. And modern religions aren't even entertaining. I just hope I don't become a tortured Stephan Daedalus in the future for it.
Did I just liken my future plight to one of the Big Names? Why yes, yes I did. And that's why he's a Big Name.
I need to be doing something where I'm required to think for a living. Fuck you, manual labour.
But am I doomed to a cycle of love/hate? I really hope not.
amanda
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amanda
- I like writing almost as much as I like eating.
Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.
4 comments:
yeah this summer was also intense reading times for me
bend sinister-nabokov
white teeth- smith
the devil's home on leave- raymond
i was dora suarez- raymond
mailman- lennon
if chins could kill- campbell
what is the what- eggers
at random- cerf
the constant gardener- le carre
no more shaves- greenberger
shortcomings- tomine
halfway through all quiet on the western front, just started helter skelter, and started reading the perilous trade before i lost interest... SERIOUSLY summer reading like this ROCKS
A DUUUUUH and ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE... which you should seriously read... because of best... also read if chins could kill... and try NOT to fall in love with young bruce campbell, and sam raimi... i seriously have a huge sam raimi crush now i think...
How was White Teeth? I'm going to start On Beauty soon because I've heard good things about this Smith character.
And like I already don't have a crush on both Campbell and Raimi, pfffft. But I will get on it, I've been intending to read Zombie Survival Guide for a while.
white teeth was alright... i think the story was good, the writing was good... but just that it was 300 pages too long... excellent payout in the end
Post a Comment