Wednesday, August 22, 2007

listen up

For the sake of my dear friend Meghan, I'll talk about what I've been listening to lately.

I'm loving Cookies by the 1990s. I believe the founders of this band are the other half of the band that produced Franz Ferdinand, and while Franz certainly has a great sound, it's a little too distinct and I think they've pigeonholed themselves. That is not 1990s issue - this is an all around fabulous rollicking summer album that I'm sure I'll be listening to for a long time.

I've also been talking up Kate Nash's Made of Bricks to anyone who will listen. She's reinvigorated my love for Regina Spektor, which comes not a moment too soon, as I'm going to her show in October. She sounds like Lily Allen and Spektor's hot love baby (and maybe the Pipettes were in on the love making), and sweet jesus, it's good. "Birds" was not at all indicative of the rest of this album, so if you've written her off as a folksy singer songwritery type, try the rest of the album. Also, would that NOT be a really hot... er... five-some?

The Kaiser Chiefs' latest, Yours Truly, Angry Mob, has also given me some happies lately. "Ruby" is simply a fantastic single, although the rest of the album sounds dissimilar. It's a decent album, a maturing sound for these guys, and it works in their favour. "The Angry Mob" and "Love's Not a Competition [But I'm Winning]" are good tracks.

Jakalope's "Feel It" is an incredibly hot song in a Sia sorta way, but it has to be listened to loudly. The rest of the album is eh - too Evanescencey for me

I'm still giving The New Pornographers' Challengers a listen, but I'm not super impressed as it stands. This could change upon a few more listens, but I don't feel they're doing much new. This is an album I need to sit down to listen to though, so we'll see; setting does much to influence perception.

Rooney's Calling the World is crap. I thought I'd include it simply because I feel so goddamn disappointed and I need to fucking rant about it. Rooney was by no means stellar, but it certainly ended up representing a very specific place in musical and teen culture history (remember how huge they got over the OC?), and it was great for what it was - breezy California pop with interesting characters lyrically. I will admit I may feel slightly warmer towards Rooney than most, but I think they were a fun band and I still love Rooney. That said, Calling the World is utter shit. I heard they had recorded this album 3 times before "nailing" it, and it shows. "When Did Your Heart Go Missing?" makes me SO ANGRY. Seriously. Look at this bit of the chorus:
When did your heart go missing?
I treat you like a princess
But your life is just one big mess
When did your heart go missing?

WHAT THE FUCK? THIS from the guys who once so brazenly spouted,
Hey digital
You're nothing but a bitch on strings
You'll be back milking cows before you cash the check
Well I'll just wait around till you fade away like the rest

and sang about fucking girls around callously. What happened, Robert? Why why why? You're Jason Schwartzman's BROTHER, man. You have Sophia Coppola as a cousin. It's surprising and disappointing that you could produce this big of a turd. I am sad. Also, your voice hasn't aged well. The sophomore curse makes me so sad.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now.

Oh wait! I finished Stevie's present. I used the same pattern as the blue pithy hat and somehow got a completely different looking product. But trust me when I say it's awesome. Pictures to come. I'm getting much faster at this.

amanda

4 comments:

luke said...

have you heard any calvin harris besides 'acceptable in the 80s'? 'the girls' is probably my new favourite song, and 'colours' is close behind. i haven't been able to stop listening to those three long enough to even listen through the entire album once yet.

Amanda said...

I'd been meaning to give "The Girls" a listen as it's been doing well on the BBC Radio 1 charts, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. "I Created Disco" is currently a downdownloading.

Mixtape said...

I really hope that this is me because I am very interested! I haven't listened to much new stuff lately except for Bat for Lashes, Ghostland Observatory, and Dragonette. Love it!

Amanda said...

Okay, so this was for the benefit of two Meghans.

About Me

My photo
I like writing almost as much as I like eating.

Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.