Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I had really been hoping for more from you, Fran.

I have been a Travis fan for a long time. I can remember the first time I saw the 'Sing' music video, and I remember going to the Sunrise in my local mall and not being able to remember the name of the song I had heard, but I picked up a copy of 'The Man Who' and hoped for the best. Most clearly, I remember being in Hannah's van on the ride home and realizing we had, independently, stumbled upon the same band. That isn't to say Travis were relatively new; this was at the time of 'The Invisible Band''s release. However, I was in grade 10, and it was my first introduction to the world of music beyond the singles on KISS92.5.

So Travis have always and will always hold a special place in my heart.

I know they get flak (most painfully from Chuck Klosterman, who was all "Coldplay are a knockoff of Travis who are a knockoff of Radiohead" or something similar) for being light rock, but fuck it. I rather enjoy light rock, and sometimes, you just need something enjoyably pretty without the density indie bands too often like to shroud themselves in (I also couldn't say whether or not I agree with Klosterman's statement, as I've never been much of a fan of Radiohead; however, the first part I can say surely I do not agree with. Travis self-proclaimedly sing about miserable things in an upbeat way, and I think (early) Chris Martin was a little too heavy-handedly introspective for that. That is not the case anymore. But that's for another day).

'12 Memories', their last effort, really grew on me. At first it was off-putting, but I liked the concept and the execution - including 'Paperclips', which I still can't listen to too often because it creeps the fucking shit out of me. It wasn't stagnant; it was a band confident in their style and willing to make a few leaps of faith - including having a rowdy group of football fans chant "Peace the Fuck Out" for the song of the same name (the irony!). Admittedly, both of the aforementioned tracks are the weakest on the album, but Travis were always best at catchy pop songs. 'Somewhere Else' and 'Love Will Come Through' fit that bill nicely, and are among my faves of theirs (as is the brooding 'Happy Hang Around', which has the most delightfully throbbing opening). '12 Memories' was an effort that had some balls, and a logical progression for their sound.

Which is why 'The Boy With No Name' fucking kills me.

First off, the title. It's so self-indulgently achy. I get it, you guys like melancholic, whimsical titles. But seriously.

It opens with '3 Times and You Lose', a song with the dreamy sadness 'The Man Who' based itself on. At first listen, I was intrigued - "perhaps this is their swan song, this is a fitting opening track if it's their last effort". It's nice enough, just feels like a finished style. Number 2, "Selfish Jean" is a great track, and reaffirmed my original thoughts of this being a final album - there are pretty guitars at a rollicking pace, and Fran is having fun vocally in a way we haven't seen since the band's first album, 'Good Feeling' (okay, I'll admit, this album was released independently, so not a lot of people have heard it, but they SHOULD). He growls, and I just love Fran's growl. Delightful. 'Selfish Jean' is Travis in a very loveable place, and is probably the best track on the album. But from then on, it's pitsville.

'Closer' is a terrible lead single, and a mediocre song at best. 'Big Chair' is (I suppose?) their attempt at a new sound, but it sounds like a shitty version of a U2 song, which is saying something. 'Eyes Wide Open' is an interesting little ditty, and refreshingly placed in the sixth track spot, but it isn't redeeming enough to save this album. Every other song on the album is indistinguishable. I couldn't even review them if I'd wanted to, because they all sound the fucking same to me. Which is really very sad, because listening to the new album of a band you've followed for a long time should never be that way. Even if no one else understands the subtle nuances in sound, a well-tuned ear to that band's style should always find something interesting about even a terrible song. This was a dismal effort, and it's clear they've got their heads stuck back in 1999.

That really pained me to write. So get back to the drawing boards, boys, and give me a send-off album I can feel really good about.

If you want to love Travis like I love Travis:
"Midsummer Night's Dreamin'" off 'Good Feeling'
"As You Are" off 'The Man Who'
"Sing" off 'The Invisible Band'
"Happy Hang Around" off '12 Memories'
"Love Will Come Through" off '12 Memories'

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I like writing almost as much as I like eating.

Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.