Jill recently went through her old report cards, and it inspired me to do the same. Luckily, my mom had saved a big box of old things. And what I learned was surprising, and yet also not. I've learned
- that the most consistent comments on my report cards were that I was distracted easily in class, I had difficulties handing in homework on time, and that I did not like participating in gym class. I suppose some things never change.
- that my best subjects were my language skills, music, art, and french. Surprisingly, comments on my artistic abilities far outweighed the amount of comments on my writing skills, which I had always assumed were my strength. Indeed, the big box was FILLED with old drawings of mine, often with highly entertaining parent/teacher deceifers at the top. There were plenty of stories too, usually with highly decorated cover pages.
- I was a good writer, but I always had to be urged to write.
- my favourite topics in my journal entries were the Power Rangers, dinosaurs, Barbies, my family, cats and various other animals, and my future careers, which included movie star, singer, ballerina, princess, and ice skater. Apparently I was as indecisive about my future then as I am now, and my tastes just as varied.
Looking at the papers of my past is strange, because I can recognize that kid, but as a younger cousin or something. I can't ever imagine myself being that young, but I can see the glaring similarities.
In other news, I am working at a flower shop/garden centre that has kept me hoppin' for the past week. I've only had one day off so far, but it's a good thing. It's keeping my mind occupied, and I'm doing things I enjoy. I'm learning more here than I ever could at Remark, because the designers are teaching me how to design. I've been doing centrepiece arrangements for a huge wedding order the past few days; I am doing ARRANGEMENTS. It's exciting, even though it's awkward working at a place where every day, at least one person recognizes me from high school. Le sigh.
Anyway, I'm off. Just wanted to let you know I'm still kickin'. More later, I promise. When I'm feeling much more wordy.
amanda
Friday, May 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Amanda
- I like writing almost as much as I like eating.
Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.
1 comment:
Current reportcard:
Amanda is easily distracted, particularly by the internet. She all aspects of working with flowers (or even particular plants *wink*). She has a big imagination and tends to assign nicknames and titles. Amanda may want to consider a career in crafting, furniture design, or similar industries. Amanda sometimes does not play nice with the other children. She is impatient with slow learners and those with special needs. Overall, Amanda shows excellent potential and is progressing at a nice pace.
Post a Comment