Sunday, July 29, 2007

haaaaaaaaaave you met ted?

okay, this seems to always happen. I read my course notes for my EarthSci class the week before the exam, and am utterly delighted by them. Sometimes, this is because of the content, which can be pretty fascinating (or just make you feel infinitesimally small, but not in a bad way), but it is often because of my prof's lecture notes themselves. This is a guy who gets offended (so much so that he makees surre to put it in the course introduction) that people refer to Earth as "the Earth", as it is a proper name. I get it man. I feel your pain. As one who loves this great hodgepodge language of ours (a linguophile? an anglolinguophile? awesome), I am, by extention, one who loves the rules of language. So right on man. I've just experienced someonee getting feisty over people referring to Moon as "the Moon" (Moon is actually a satellite, just so you know).

But yeah. In this evening's readings, I have come across:
Several interviews with satellite hunters and top theorists reveal that the definition of a satellite is not clear and that there has been almost no discussion, professional or casual, about whether there should be any lower size limits set to separate real satellites from miniature imposters. And nobody is in a rush to do anything about it, apparently!
"Imposters"? And his sense of annoyance in the end? Brilliant!

Also:
However, in the next chapter we’ll be looking at Jupiter’s satellites, and their geology is awesome!


So yeah, it all boils down to the fact that I totally think my prof's excitement about this stuff is pretty adorable in an old-prof-who-retired-but-still-wanted-to-teach-this-stuff sorta way.

Luckily, my exams are this week. I'm kinda fucked for them, but when these courses are through, I have a feeling I won't be avoiding the computer nearly so much, so I'll be around more.

Oh, also, I strongly strongly urge you to watch "How I Met Your Mother". I find it endlessly entertaining, and it stars Jason Segel, Alyson Hannigan, Neil Patrick Harris (who is SO good), the stunning but unfortunately named Cobie Smuthers, and the pretty adorably awesome if not kinda pathetically romantic Josh Radnor (well, I'm sure he isn't, but his character, Ted Mosby is, but I still love him). And Bob Saget narrates! Who could ask for more? You just have to get over the fact that there is a laughtrack (boooo hisss), but this show is pretty much a staple of my evenings now.

More to come. I know I keep saying it. I'll be done with this tedious student life soon, and onto freed up time and focused creative efforts. Big things are coming friends, big things.

amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About Me

My photo
I like writing almost as much as I like eating.

Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.