Wednesday, April 18, 2007

the flora, the fauna, the crazy banana

So today turned out to be a lovely day. At first, it was all cold and gross, but it got warm and happy (-ish)! Yay! And just in general, I love spending days downtown, even if London's downtown is kinda sketchy, what with all the crazies and druggies. Fuck that noise, I got a hot new vase.

Yes, that's right, a vase.


Ain't it cute? It looks like a puddle! I swear, going into Bloomer's just delights me so. They're not particularly interesting with their arrangements (and blergh, overpriced!), but they have the loveliest assortment of interesting flower vessels that I ever did see. So puddle vase and I are pals now, and I may even grab some more before I leave (because imagine how cute they'd look in a grouping! Ah!)

I have totally become one of those lame premature grandmas. I know that I've always been a little lame, but I really revel in it now. But seriously, being lame is so so much better than acting "cool" (which I recognize is a now outdated term, but do we have an accurate replacement yet? Please someone notify me if they have this information). And I say acting cool, because no one really ever just IS cool. There are standards to be upheld if one is to remain cool. And boy am I glad I stopped trying there. Because my lameness is more awesome than all of the cool kids have ever had it, so ha!

Also, leaving London offers me those odd sense of nostalgia for something that is present. "This is the last time I'll ever eat at Ben Thanh" and stuff like that. It's sad, because it's the end of an era, but it's also not sad, because I won't have to live in a dump, attend class, or pay for necessities anymore (at least until I move out again, in which case I'd embrace all three with open arms). But seriously, when your house has been taken over by bugs, has caving in ceilings, and electrical that will probably cause a house fire at any second, you begin to appreciate the little things, like the ability to shower without having to worry if the mold has become sentient. YUCK, this house blows.

amanda

2 comments:

stezzzah said...

Um, every time I take a shower in the bathroom I am harassed by spiders, centipedes, wasps (wtf?) or potato bugs. I think we may live on a hell mouth, Buffy styles.

ps. No studying has taken place chez moi yet. Cram session when I get back?

Amanda said...

You should have seen the bug that I had to save Jill from yesterday. It was like a centipede that had evolved to have really long legs. There was shrieking as it died (but from me or it, I'll never tell). So YES, I concur, this house will totally be the site of Paul Davenport's transformation into a big snake... thing. Actually, it's more likely it'll be one of those highly evolved centipede leg things. Yeah, for sure, that's all this soil can breed.

PS. No studying on this front either. So yes. I'm thinking I'll ask Lauren if she wants to meet in the library with us on Monday? We'll be five by five fo sho ;)

About Me

My photo
I like writing almost as much as I like eating.

Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.