I saw The Dark Knight opening night in a vain attempt to view the film with some degree of objectivity. I avoided movie reviews, but it's hard to enter a film like this without preconceived notions. The hype's been swirling for months now, and going in, I have to admit feeling a certain degree of reluctance - I was sure it was going to be a great fucking ride, but I wasn't going to make it easy to win me over. I felt similarly seeing Batman Begins, which completely surpassed expectations, so I say the following without guilt.
If you liked the tack taken with Batman Begins, you'll be satisfied with the darkness Nolan steeps Gotham in here. This is still a city run by the bad guys, where the good guys fight half-heartedly, knowing that even their best bet is operating in a system that routinely gives them the short shrift. This is still the Gotham on the brink of descending into chaos, but not quite there yet - with the mob still controlling things, the city is run by a law that chokes the actual law at every turn, but has its own order. This is the Gotham that needs Batman, if only to give the good guys a fighting chance, but he certainly isn't one of them. Batman has a gray niche all carved out for himself, keeping himself at arms length from Gordon and the new DA, Harvey Dent, and fighting crime by subverting the stealth the mobsters usually reserve for their interactions. It's a tenuous situation, but at film's open, Right is gaining ground over Wrong, inch by inch.
Into the fray, enter anarchy.
This Joker is exactly what the Joker should always have been depicted as - delighting in debasing people, sadistically twisting the knife wherever possible, overturning the status quo. He is given more lingering screen time as the film progresses, in a fantastic move on Nolan's part; the beginning, where he's just a lunatic but the mob's best shot at getting the Bat, gradually gives way to lengthier interactions with central characters. Perhaps the most frightening aspect of this is how it exposes how unbelievably sane he is. He shows perfect clarity in understanding his place in that system, as an agent of change, and as Batman's foil. I particularly liked how the story of his scars changed every time he told it - he is a man without history, and he's emerged because he's had to. The theatre laughed when the Joker mockingly says that Batman "completes him", but this is the Joker at his most plainly spoken. Batman emerged as a scourge of the underworld, taking two steps ahead of the status quo in order to give good a fighting chance. In doing so, however, in donning a costume and a moniker, in becoming a symbol, there can only have been an equal and opposite reaction. In opening the door to masked crusaders, he only opened it wider for masked villains, also stepping up their game. By refusing to play by the rules, Batman has created a villain willing to throw all of the rules in the pile and burn them with the rest of the world. And he knows that in order for the Joker to be truly, finally stopped, Batman will have to break his only rule - to not kill - but in that, would be giving the final point to the Joker, who will have debased the only order left in the name of good.
That praise being said, this is not a flawless film. This is not the film the hype made it out to be.
This is a long film. I understand there's a tendency in Hollywood not to cut all of those lovely, expensive scenes that were filmed, but ultimately, we are left with films bogged down by their own weight - an action movie should not forget what its ultimate goal should be. I laud the filmmakers for making a film that gazes at its navel from time to time, because that is certainly a step above even the best of purely action films (such as Ironman), but superfluous storylines do not a stronger movie make. I can easily think of a storyline that should have been cut (involving Hong Kong, for those who have seen it), and would have resulted in a much tighter film overall. In addition to that, Maggie Gyllenhaal was just as fucking wooden as Katie Holmes, which so frustrating as I'm a big fan of hers. And, perhaps the most worrisome, was how little I cared for the characters. There were some exceptions; Aaron Eckhart did a fantastic job (and I was pleasantly surprised to see much of Harvey Dent pre-Two-Face), and Ledger was unbelievably fun to watch onscreen. I agree that it was truly a shame he died so young, and it's pretty clear here how talented he was, but this talk of an Oscar for this role would be a joke - the Academy missed their chance with his breathtaking performance in Brokeback Mountain.
But back to my original point, I cared more about the supporting characters than I did our leading man. Christian Bale carried the mantle of Batman well enough, but he wasn't given the opportunity to make the audience truly care about how the trials were affecting him. The only time we're let in enough to see something genuine is in the interrogation scene with the Joker, and even then, he's playing second-fiddle to Ledger's utter domination in every scene he was in. Perhaps the next film will allow for Bale to flex his own formidable acting chops.
So, overall, this is definitely worth your 12$. While it may be a longer than it should be and lacks the emotional depth I'd have preferred, the questions it forces you to examine about what Batman is for the people he protects are far above and beyond what any comic-book adaptation has been able to bring to its audience. Nolan has created, in his Batman franchise, movies that take its audience seriously enough to present them with the complexities inherent in every battle between good and evil, especially when Batman is the straddler in question.
3.9 out of 5 (edited to bump it up from 3.5)

6 comments:
i genuinely feel that this movie was easily the best comic book made into a movie yet that i've ever seen. that being said. how fucking awesome did the trailer for watchmen looked. REALLY fucking awesome, scene by scene identical awesome.
but back to batman, i completely agree that there shouldn't be oscar buzz for ledger as fucking amazing as he was in the role. (i also went opening night, i had to.) i don't know if i agree with you about bale, i don't think we are really supposed to like him as batman. we are but we aren't. bale is the only REAL bruce wayne that we have ever seen, where he epitomizes the playboy born into riches attitude in a way that NONE of his predecessors were able to. batman, i don't know, i think he does a good enough job at it but this movie wasn't really about batman. it totally was about the supporting cast, who were pretty awesome. i liked maggie much more than katie but again i don't think taht much was put into that character at all. harvey dent was amazing, the transition into two-face was pretty awesome.
i just need to see the movie again i think.
I will agree that this is a far better depiction of Bruce Wayne ever onscreeen before. But I also think that when Batman is grappling with such complex issues, they should be seeping over into Bruce Wayne's life. Nolan wanted to make a meditation on what Batman means, and Bale only seemed to turn on about the subject when Rachel was involved. I think his questions of legitimacy were far more compelling than he played them, and perhaps my disbelief at his (and Harvey's, for that matter) elaborate anguish over Rachel has to do with how I found difficulty with anyone getting too excited over her.
I'm looking at this in terms of what COULD have been there, and was lacking for me. But I think this was the Batman we deserve (wink wink), after sullying his good name for so long. It's certainly a step above previous incarnations, but that isn't saying much (my apologies, Adam West).
And in terms of it being the best comic book movie ever made - perhaps. It doesn't mean it's the best movie ever made, and I think it's been given far more credit than is due.
And the Watchmen? LOOKS really cool, but I have my doubts. This is, after all, the guy who directed 300. I have a feeling this is going to become a ham-fisted mess, complete with slo-mo action sequences just so we can savour the suck. Fingers crossed.
I look forward to breakin' it down further, drunkenly, Saturday. Hoorah!
You don't have to have talked to me to know where I stand on this film.
1. Watching the Watchmen (ha) process feels a lot like walking on a tightrope doused in grease. It's so, SO easy for them to slip up. That being said, so far, so awesome. And yeah, I hated 300 too, but the comic sucks for (almost) all the same reasons as the film, so I'm not going to write Snyder off just yet.
2. Maggie G was a lot better, but still felt like the only main character to fall short (this only occurred to me during the warehouse scene, where Eckhart was amazing).
3. My only other problem with the movie was the end, where I felt things were left a litle TOO unresolved. Sure, it's opening itself for part three, but that's still lame.
4. Ledger totally deserves at least a nomination. You say he was better in Brokeback, sure, but he got nominated for that too. I can't think of a better performance all year, where every twitch, every squint, is so calculated and, quite frankly, perfect (the last performance I could think of like that was in There Will be Blood). I mean, Bardem won last year for less. Hype be damned, this was a spectacular performance.
5. The Hong Kong scene COULD have been written out, but why? I mean, it introduced so many crucial elements (sonar cell phones), widened the scope considerably, and was just plain cool. Not that this is the same thing, but Hamlet could have done without the Fortinbras sideplot and wouldn't have lost much, doesn't mean it should be cut. A movie is too long if it has you squirming or looking at your watch. This movie made me do none of those things.
6. Awesome title. Now whenever I listen to Arm's Way I'm going to pretend it's the Joker singing.
Just saw it again. The Hong Kong stuff, from Lucius getting off the helicopter to Lao being delivered to the police, is less than six minutes long.
Also, fuck what I said earlier. Maggie was great.
I think I had started writing a response to your original comment, and then I got distracted halfway through. So apologies for the delay.
So if it were a measly 6 minutes, it SHOULD have been cut. And yes, it set up all that sonar crap, but I thought that was superfluous too - it made the final showdown messy and visually ridiculous. (And yes, I know your response will be that that addition helped showcase Batman's disregard for civil liberties and his break with Morgan Freeman, but I think it was a hack way of going about it.) Action movies have to be concerned with being lean; otherwise, audiences will tune out, no matter how complex the issues being dealt with are. Adding one more facet to an already dense film seems a bit like taking a screenwriting cue from the Paul Haggis book (and lord knows how I hate that fucker).
I love Maggie as much as the next indie hipster, but she was given nothing to work with. I honestly didn't give a damn whether she lived or died, which I think says something - when the only catalyst for emotional involvement bites it (for TWO of the characters, no less), you'd think I couldn't help but care. Post-Maggie-mortem, I only believed Eckhart's performance by taking it in light of other depictions of such loss. I think it's difficult to have just the one emotional centre in a film that tries to do so much - I don't blame her for not being able to carry the weight of her role for other characters within the film, with so little of character-building substance to work with.
But I understand I'm in the minority here. There are legions of folks who have drank the Batloonie Kool-Aid. Yes, I do understand it's supposed to be the Second Coming, and that everyone should be attending TDK screenings with a bag full of extra panties.
But I'll save that for the next Robert Downey Jr. film, ahthankyouverymuch.
I liked this movie overall, what really got me was Batman's fake scratchy voice that sounded like he's been smoking two packs a day for the last thirty years.
Post a Comment