Wednesday, November 21, 2007

when the sun shines, we'll shine together

Days like this remind me I ought to be living in London.

Working in the mall, you tend to be cut off from the outside world. I have no windows to key me to weather cues, so I guess based on people's hair. Rain is easy. Snow slightly more difficult. Wind is generally pretty entertaining. Sunshine is virtually undetectable. I thrive on bad weather, if only because it adds interest to my very bland consumerism-based day.

Also, customers LOVE to discuss weather. This may be because the majority of my customers are elderly, but regardless. I've had so many people tell me how horrible the weather is, how terrible it's made their mood, how they just want to go home and curl up under some blankets and cry themselves to sleep because mygodwhywon'ttherainjuststop??.

I walked home. And I rather enjoyed it.

I'm one of those freaks who genuinely enjoys the rain, assuming I'm somewhat prepared for it. If I'm armed with an umbrella, walks in the rain are some of my favourite walks. I'm also one of those freaks who genuinely enjoys walks, so just imagine that: rain walks top MY list of favourite walks. Suck on that, weather-complainers.

On a related note, be nice to your umbrella. I hate that old wives' tale about opening umbrellas indoors, because doesn't your umbrella deserve some warmth? Doesn't it try its very hardest to keep you dry after you've dragged it from its slumber indoors? Doesn't it suffer enough abuse from the wind, trying to bend your poor comrade's spokes? And on top of all of this, does it also have to deal with some superstitions about how "unlucky" it is? Your umbrella has been through enough today. So let it fucking lie open while it dries. Have some compassion.

Amanda

1 comment:

Chris said...

That is utterly ADORABLE...

You seem pretty interesting! Let's keep up! I'll be updating my horrifically dated blog myself!

-Chris from the abyss

eternalblood.blogspot.com

About Me

My photo
I like writing almost as much as I like eating.

Read what I'm writing at burgundy girls.
Tweet me @a_caswell.
Tumble with me at press the pause.
See what I find inspiring on Pinterest.
And if you're interested in working with me, you can check out my writing portfolio at amandacaswell.com.